Saturday, June 15, 2013

Bless his heart.





6 years ago when this whole journey started, I either was hiding in my bathroom crying or walking around completely full of anxiety wondering what the future would hold for my chubby baby boy. Would he be able to communicate? How would he communicate? Would he be able to go to his neighborhood school and be with his typical hearing peers?

My deaf little boy.

It took me a really long time to say that word. Deaf. I have a deaf son. He was a baby with hearing aids and then a toddler with a Cochlear Implant. Strangers would stare. Sometimes sweet old ladies at the grocery store would pat my shoulder and tell me how sweet he was and "Bless his little heart".

So now, 6 years later as I beg my little boy to save the rest of our chat for tomorrow morning because it really is past his bedtime and he had such a fun day playing with his friends, I am at peace. Sorta.

Christian finished Kindergarten yesterday. Kindergarten in our fabulous neighborhood school where his buddies from around the corner and our little town go. Kindergarten in a typical classroom with typical peers. Kindergarten in a school where he is the ONLY kiddo out of over 500 that has Cochlear Implants.

I spent this year at our mainstream school excitedly explaining to parents, teachers, administrators, and coaches "Yes, he's deaf BUT...." My bilateral Cochlear Implant boy is able to do things academically and socially that every other 6.5 year old boy can. He became a class leader, a class clown and quite the athlete this year. His hearing loss, while always on my mind, was also a bit further down the list. By December, I found myself reminding people that he was deaf, and don't forget to have him sit closer even if he thinks he doesn't need to (he really doesn't need to, but it makes me feel better as his Momma). 

Along with his great success came different worries. We are still really working hard on rehabilitating his year old left Cochlear Implant. Teaching a deaf kid (even one like Christian) to read and tell the difference between a /th/ sound and /f/ sound is a challenge and frustrating sometimes for the both of us. And then there are the typical Kindergarten things like high emotions and focus that come into play. It's been a fun year with some hills to climb.

On the last day of school, Christian is writing simple sentences. He's reading right where he should. He is excited and can't wait for 1st grade.

My deaf little boy. Exactly where he should be.


2 comments:

MaryEllen said...

Thanks so much for sharing your journey. My 8 month old son is deaf. I am still at the point where I cry every time I think about it. We are starting the process for cochlear implants. I worry about his future and how he will communicate. Just like every Mom I want him to be happy and healthy.

When I read about kids like your son I really have so much hope. I hope my son has the same great outcome.

Thanks!
MaryEllen
www.maryellenandjulianna.blogspot.com

Alexs Auto Merch said...

Yes, this is a very charming blog for children sharing, Keep it up, admin.
The Most Powerful Car Scent Air Freshener