Thursday, January 15, 2009

A Moment of Clarity

Driving home from school today, Christian and I were having our usual little conversations. I usually ask him what he did in school, who he played with (working on answering "wh" questions, can't you tell!), if he had fun, and then I talk about all the things we see on our drive home. Not only is it a good language opportunity, I try my hardest to keep him up on our trip home so he actually will take a good nap when we get home.

Today, before I even had to ask, as we were pulling away from school, Christian just started telling me ALL about his day:

Christian- "Mommy, basketball in gym (prounounced bah-ket-ball in gym)!Mommy! Play bahketball in gym!"

Me- "Oh, Wow Christian, did you play in the gym today?"

Christian-"Shoot blue bah-ket-ball! OH BOY!"

Me-(Now with tears welling in my eyes, as I'm pulling out onto Massachusetts Ave.) "Christian, that is awesome! Did you have fun playing basketball in the gym?"

Christian-"Awesome basketball!"


At this point, it was full on niagra falls for me. I know I've been a ball of emotions lately, but complete and profound joy overcame me on the ride home today. To think that I thought I would never hear his voice. And my loving little boy is in the backseat of my car, telling me all about his awesome day playing basketball in the gym at school. Using his sweet, beautiful words.

6 comments:

jenn said...

Tears are rolling down my cheeks. Love you! :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful...

The Pink Totebag said...

Oh my gosh! I'm welling up, too! That is so awesome. He is doing so well, Tina! You should be so proud...

VBnBama said...

told you, you might cry more after the ci than before...

leah said...

Wow, Tina! To be able to relate that he played basketball, in the gym, and it was a blue basketball... that's REALLY good for any two year old!!

I really can't believe how close your new little one is to arriving.

Anonymous said...

I have always followed your wonderful blogs. I don't go a day without checking to see if this baby girl is here yet. I am so anxious to find out of she is going to pass those darn new born sreenings. I know what you mean when you say you don't know anything different that the world of hearing aids, and batteries and toupee tape, molds etc... but we as well as you have the same feelings of so many mixed emotions, ex: anger, disappointment, grief and all the rest. Now to hear the wonderful sounds your little boy is making in the back of he car is just great. We have a little girl that will be 3 in May with one implant. I can't tell you how many tears we have cried over her, happy as well as sad. Hurry and have that baby girl, we can't wait much longer!

love, Jayne (Mommom to Morgan)