Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pick-up Artist at the Grocery Store

Today I took a quick trip up to our local grocery store to pick-up some last minute items to get ready for our trip back home to Detroit (and to get my 4pm fix at the Starbucks in the store). In the self check-out aisle, I saw two young girls signing to one another. So, naturally, I decided to get in on the conversation!

I learned that they were twin sisters, one was hearing and the other deaf. They are 16, babysit TOGETHER, AND THEY LIVE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. I knew there was another family with a deaf child in our town, but just haven't been able to make the connection.

JACKPOT!

So, in addition to picking up snacks for the road, I also managed to pick-up some new babysitters. Who are fluent in ASL. What a great opportunity for Christian to work on his signing skills, and to be around a deaf teen. And what a great opportunity for Chuck and I to FINALLY get some dates in!

7 comments:

The Multi-talented and Menially Employed, J.D. said...

Is there any place better than your Safeway?! So glad you were able to make this connection!

melissa said...

Wow! That's great news!!

Laurie said...

Wow! What a great opportunity! I'm sure they will enjoy babysitting your kids! Enjoy your getaways when you can!

Jax said...

Fantastic!!!

Ben's Mom said...

Wow! What a find. We are in the process of learning ASL so we can learn along with Ben. You are so brave to jump in and sign with them. I wish I had those guts!

tammy said...

That's great! I wish we lived closer so we could use them too! Mike and I talked last night and I found out he's really worried about leaving Aiden (I say he'll be just fine, but I won't if we don't get out soon!) ... how great to find not just one, but two, girls who get it.

Val said...

oooooooh, yes definitely jackpot!
so when are they coming over? lol