Tuesday, April 13, 2010

New Tuesday Themed Posts: What We're Working On

I thought it would be fun to include a themed post every week to detail exactly what we're working on as far as my Mommy Speech Therapy here at home. With a little guidance from Christian's SLPs at school, and a whole heck of a lot of research on my end, I've been able to have targeted goals every week for Christian.

This week, we're concentrating on the use of two or more descriptives together. Christian's vocabulary is vast. He often uses two or more descriptives unsolicited, but we want to continue to work on this skill when he is asked questions. The best way for us to work on this at home is to utilize what we have, so I'm pulling out his Matchbox Cars. I found the easiest (and fastest!) ways to introduce new games to Christian is to model what I want him to do. I picked up a car and showed it to him and said "Christian, this car is big and purple". Then, I'll give him a car and have him give describe it to me. We can also turn this into a listening game when I'll ask him to find "The small red car".  We turn it into playtime, and he ALWAYS gets a candy reward for being my good listener and talker!

Stay tuned for next week...I have something FUN planned for continued practice on categories!

No comments: