Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Calendar Anxiety

Does anyone else have heart palpitations when you change out your family's dry-erase calendar in the kitchen from one month to the next?

What about when you start the "Repeat Every Week" function in your iCalendar so when you open up your iPad your entire schedule looks like an Impressionist painting with all those little dots?

I officially have calendar anxiety.

Christian starts school in less than 2 weeks.

Yay!

After school activities, auditory training (maybe, more on that later...I don't know?), and the complete insanity of our family's fall schedule also starts in less than 2 weeks.

Yay?

Wasn't I JUST begging for the "routine" of fall?

Much like the rest of the Moms of the world, I am now taking on the task of manage our calendar. Webbing together delicate carpools with trusted friends, trying to be in 2 places at once every morning, AND making sure that EVERYONE (Chuck and myself included) has THEIR TIME. I mean, a guy HAS to make his fantasy football draft party. We do have priorities.

So here I sit, plugging in lacrosse, which has then reminded me that this year our little guy needs a cup. Yes, a little boy cup to protect his family jewels. So that goes on my "Supply" list. Tai Kwon Do is our constant, we're still doing that 2 days a week, but I have to make sure we get a good carpool going for that. Soccer? Or Baseball? Soccer is out. It's the same time as Lily's ballet...which reminds me, add tights and possibly new shoes on the "Supply" list.  Baseball? Who is doing baseball? Do I have to be there? Is there a date for that? And what about auditory therapy? When is that? I guess it has to be on a Tuesday, since Mondays and Wednesday are martial arts, Thursdays are ballet and Fridays, well aren't Fridays our days to just sit on our neighbors and best friends' decks and just watch the kids go wild while we drink red wine? Saturday mornings are Lacrosse, Sundays are CCD.

I'm one of the crazies that keeps a paper calendar, which I then cross-reference in my iCalendar, which is synced on my iPhone and iPad, which I then transfer EVERYTHING to our master family white-board calendar. I'm staring at every single weekend from Labor Day through November 3rd being completely booked.

It's only going to get worse. They are still so little. My best friend who has 4 kids has gracefully mastered the art of being in 4 places at once, and I've only seen her lose her cool maybe once or twice (there was a time when we weren't quite sure where her oldest boy was and if he actually made it to the soccer field and if he was going to get a ride home...but it happens). I know I'm a rookie at this.

Now....off to planning lunches.

Living the dream people, living the dream.



No comments: