Monday, August 25, 2008

Recap!

I already posted about Christian's language explosion when we were on our beach trip last week with my family. I have to say, hearing my little guy tell me he wants to go to the beach, or asking where the moon is, was just amazing. It got me thinking back to our last family vacation, which was this time last year. At the time, we didn't know the status of Christian's hearing. We knew he couldn't hear some things, but we certainly didn't expect his loss to be so severe. He wasn't even aided.

It's mind-boggling how fast a year has gone. Last year, he wasn't even crawling. I was still nursing my sweet boy, and he was napping 3 times a day. This year, he was running across the beach, drinking juice boxes, and we were lucky if he napped for an hour in the afternoon. We quickly learned that a beach vacation with a toddler is not a "vacation". It's a zoo.

Our trip was absolutely fantastic. A week with my Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister-in-Law, and my hubby and kid was just what I needed. Christian was spoiled rotten by his Nana and Papa. His Aunt Sarah and Uncle Nick tickled, played, and sang with him. We built sand castles during the day, and hung out with each other at night. For those of you who don't know about Dewey, check out this Wikipedia article ve (yes, we are a Dewey couple...it does happen). Some of our greatest memories were made at that beach with our housemates from our group house, and we made some really beautiful ones this past week with our family.

I have to say, one of the most memorable moments was running into our CI audiologist from Hopkins while we were down there. We were able to buy her a drink to thank her for all of her hard work with our sweet boy, and toast to his success. Here I was worried what we would do if something went wrong with his CI, and our audi was down there. How cool?!

Chuck and I were beyond nervous about having Christian wear his CI on the beach. After a couple of days, we loosened up a bit, and just hoped that his hat protected the processor from the sand, and we clipped his controller of his Babyworn to the inside of his shirt. He never went in the ocean with it on...we're just not quite ready to waterproof our CI using a baggie or a Foodsaver bag yet. I don't think if we ever will be!

Check out this little video montage I put together, and be sure to watch for the scene of Christian dancing to the reggae band....I never thought I would see the day my profoundly deaf son would dance to music. What a miracle!
(Stop the music on the right before you start the video)

3 comments:

leah said...

Christian has better rhythm than I do! And the new little baby-bump is so cute!

NatCraft said...

Is it lame that I get choked up when I see how quickly Christian is growing and how well he's doing?!

jenn said...

I LOVED seeing Christian DANCING! That was too adorable!! :) And you are GLOWING! Absolutely beautiful. Love you and hope to see you guys soon! XOXO