Thursday, October 9, 2008

One of those moments

Today after drop-off, I ran into two Moms that both have deaf kids that attend our school. We grabbed some coffee (Chai Tea Latte for me) and sat outside of a cafe across the street from the school and just vented to each other. All 3 of us have boys, and while all 3 have a hearing loss, they are so very different. We chatted about troubles and triumphs with therapy, equipment mishaps (2 of our kids have CIs, the other wears hearing aids), and just shared what has been on our minds.

I feel so fortunate to have such a great support network of Moms who know how it is to walk in my shoes. I really think that unless you actually have had a doctor look you in the eye and say "Your child has a hearing loss", you really have NO idea what goes on in our hearts or minds. It's like we have this unspoken understanding. And no matter the level of hearing loss, from profoundly deaf to mildly hearing impaired, we get eachother.

I don't want to discount how much I value my friends who have typically hearing children, or even my friends that don't have children. Each group of friends is so important, and I believe helps support me and my family in a very specific way. I just feel so lucky to have support from Moms who know EXACTLY how hard everyday is, even when we are having a good day.

6 comments:

tammy said...

It's just AWESOME having other moms to talk to who are experiencing similar journeys! I was at a seminar a few weeks back, and there were a good handful of moms there and we just couldn't get enough said in the short time we had to visit.

BTW - I looked into this school too and found they have a mommy-infant progam once a week! I can't wait to get there and see about joining! One week until we head out!

Amy said...

How true! I know my other friends (who all have hearing children!) attempt to empathize with our situation, but no one really gets it! One perfect example was at my oldest son's soccer game. He wears bilateral hearing aids and my youngest son has a CI and a hearing aid. Worse case scenario...my husband is at work, I'm there alone and it seriously starts to DOWNPOUR! Not only do I have 3 boys and myself who are all getting drenched I have 3 hearing aids and a CI I have to protect!!! Other moms worry about their hair...for me, it is so much more than that!!!

Thanks for this blog! I LOVE to read what you all have been up to! :)

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

Tammy-The PIP at the school is awesome! Please call me when you get to MD so we can do coffee. I can't wait to finally "meet" you in person :)

Amy-
I totally can't imagine keeping track of all that equipment...and I know what you mean. If only all we had to worry about was our hair :)

I peaked on your blog...you have such a cute family!

Abbie said...

That is exactly how I feel about other people that grew up in my shoes. They just GET it and there is no greater comfort then that.

AJ's Mom said...

Exactly. We were given the names of another family who's son also has profound hearing loss and cerebral palsy. When she emailed me, and I read her words, it was such a comfort. On the phone, we couldn't get enough words in....After we spoke on the phone, I was in tears. She knows EXACTLY how this feels. Having a support like that it so important. Thanks for this post!

leah said...

There is nothing better than having a group of other mommies that "get it." That know the pain of sitting in a sound booth watching your baby play, completely oblivious to the tones sounding. To know the worry, the hard work, and the overwhelming love that can bring us to our knees. And, of course, the small victories that make us stand up and cheer!