Monday, November 24, 2008

Lollipop

Very early on in Christian's journey, I used to make the differentiation between "play-time" and "listening-time". I had a hard time bouncing between Mommy and then Therapist. I remember venting my frustrations to our EI teacher, and she helped me realize that I could (and must) do both at the same time. For little ones, she reminded me that "Play is work". So, since that day last year, I've kept that mantra. Christian's play IS his work. It IS his therapy. So, we just make EVERY playtime a listening opportunity.

As Christian has gotten older, I've been able to demand more structured listening out of him, such as requesting his Ling Sounds during our morning listening check (which also occurs during breakfast, or coloring). We're really working on 2-3 word combinations, so I've been able to request more of those as we're in our playroom stacking blocks, putting together a puzzle or play-doh.

I took this video last week right after he woke up from his PM nap. Most Moms of toddlers will tell you that the hardest part of the day is the time in between nap and when Daddy gets home. I always like to find an activity for us to do together (that is usually out of the house) for the witching hour. This video captures one of those conversations, along with a Lollipop that he was rewarded with on a recent shopping trip.

7 comments:

VBnBama said...

wow, he can do his Ps already?
He is doing AMAZING, and so are you! I also notice how quiet the house was, good listening environment mom!! We mamas notice these things.lol

tejl said...

That was amazing :)

tammy said...

I remember the feeling of being very overwhelmed with play vs therapy time and felt I had to build both into my day. I cried to my AVT about it and she too, told me the same thing, that anytime with him can be therapy time, play time, snuggle time, eating time. You do such a wonderful job with Christian! He is amazing!

Landry said...

Hooray, Christian!!! Watching your journey has given my Mom and Dad so much hope for me...thanks for sharing your story!

Melanie said...

WOW and WOW and WOW. You're telling me this precious baby has only been activated for 5+ months? He is incredible. Great job, Mommy.

AJ's Mom said...

Yeah Christian!!

Landon's Mom said...

Too cute!! He is doing great!!