Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"Mommy, Why Do You Cry?"

This week I learned of the tragic death of a college friend of mine. My friends and I are in complete shock, and we are heartbroken for his family. I've had a couple of days to process his passing, and today I found myself wiping away tears as I tried to draw a balloon with sidewalk chalk on our front porch for Christian.

My little boy, who is getting to the point where he really understands feelings, came up next to me, put his toddler hand on my head, and said:

"Mommy, Why Do you Cry?"

"You unhappy, Mommy?"

"Mommy, It's Ok"

I smiled, gave Christian a kiss, said a silent prayer of thanks, and finished drawing my balloon for Christian. Even in a moment of grief, we still were able to experience yet another Cochlear Implant miracle: my little boy using his words to comfort me.

1 comment:

AJ's Mom said...

How very sweet. Now I'm crying...
Way to go Christian, love your Mommy to the moon and back!