Thursday, January 6, 2011

Until Next Year

On November 27th, 2010, we began the transformation of our house into a miniature Bronner's Christmas Wonderland. Every room in our house was Christmasfied, along with our exterior too. Over the next month, Gingerbread houses, construction paper wreaths, advent calendars, Christmas platters, collectible snowmen, Christmas countdowns, pine scented candles, multiple nativity scenes, seasonal towels, rugs, multiple watercolor paint projects from 2 preschools, and entire picture galleries found a spot in our home. I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of the year, and my house looked so beautiful. But come January, I want it gone.

We've spent the better part of the past 3 evenings clearing out the Christmas. The tree was taken down, and bins and bins of decor were put back up into the attic. I got a bit teary eyed packing all the "magic" away. As each bin was closed, so was another year of my children's lives. I wish I could just stop time and ensure that they always will have the wonder and awe that they had this year. I want them to always have their matching PJs, and complete and utter belief in Santa Claus. One day, they won't be bringing me home handprint wreaths from school.

With all the Christmas gone out of our house, we're preparing for both of their birthdays in just a few weeks. Again, all I want to do is just stop time. Once Lily is 2, I won't have a baby. And Christian, well he might as well be a grown boy. 4 years old, and full of love and laughter, and a bit of an obsession with Super Heroes and Star Wars. I just want it to slow down.

No comments: