We spent all day yesterday at Hopkins, meeting with the CI surgeon and the audiologist. We learned that Christian's CT scan came back completely normal, showing that his cochleas are formed correctly. Our surgeon walked us through his CT scan, the surgery, and the risks. We actually signed the medical consent form for the surgery yesterday--something that I didn't expect to happen, but our surgeon wanted to get that taken care of. I was surprised, but glad that we got that taken care of so we can be prepared.
I was even more surprised to actually chose the brand and style of Christian's CI yesterday. I knew that day was coming, but just didn't expect it to happen yesterday. I've done an extensive amount of research, reading everything I could get my hands on, researching failure rates, and talking with parents of children with the two brands we were considering. I have never experienced something like this before, and the pressure was immeasurable. In the end, it came down to what was best for Christian and our family. We decided to go with the Nucleus Freedom.
You would think after signing the consent forms and even picking out the implant that we would be formally approved as candidates--well, not exactly. We still have to go through the Psychological Evaluation and the Auditory Skills Assessment next week. The entire team at Hopkins will meet, and then inform us of their decision. So, we still have about 2 weeks to go in this process. We did learn that if/when we are formally approved, we are looking at surgery date as early as May.
In the meantime, we're still trucking along. Christian is getting fitted with his FM system today (YEAH!). It will be amazing to see how he does with it.