Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Dreaded G-U-N word

Snips and snails and puppy dog tails. That is what I thought I was getting into 3 years ago when I had my precious baby boy. I dreamt of walking hand and hand with him to the corner store getting ice cream, with his hat slightly turned. Scraped knees. Kool-Aid mustaches. Baseball gloves. Worms in pockets. Loving his Momma with a sweet smirk, giggling while running after a soccer ball. Isn't that what boys are about?
I guess I selectively left out a very important part of a little boy's life, and today I'm freaking out about it.

On our way home from school yesterday Christian described what he did at school. This was his response, WORD FOR WORD:

"Russell and I played guns on the playground. We went SHOOT SHOOT and I pointed and shot him with my gun."

Um, don't get me wrong, it's not like I expect him to NOT play war or guns, or whatever they were doing. He IS a boy and it IS engrained in his brain. He already has started making the sticks at the park swords, so I knew it was only a matter of time before the developed in guns. But at 3? Doesn't it start a little later? I figured it wouldn't start until at least 4. Can't he be my sweet little boy who sleeps with a stuffed Tigger and laughs at Sesame Street still? Why is he growing up SO fast? 

I chatted with him, told him that he shouldn't play guns on the playground, and that we never, EVER pretend to shoot someone. He then told me "Ok, but what if they shoot me first. Then I can shoot them, right?"

I think I'm going to lay down my arms and surrender to this battle. I don't think I am going to be able to win.



2 comments:

leah said...

We had the same development at the age of three- my husband fought it, pulling Matt away from groups of kids who were playing guns. But it just made Matt frustrated and isolated him socially- it really is something innate to little boys. Now he plays "cowboys," complete with pretend laser shields and laser guns (because cowboys have lasers, apparently), and we let him...

His play has started to change at 4 1/2, and now he prefers to play freeze tag instead of "guns" all the time, so this phase does lessen (though I don't think it ever disappears).

PolyglotMom said...

Seriously, this is my biggest nightmare. I hate guns passionately. It sounds like you've handled it quite well though. I would probably sit Lucas on time-out for a month or two to make a point... or maybe just have the same conversation and pray that it sticks. :)